A top ten list of jobs concerning the afterlife has nothing to do with being "the resident spook" in an old house that turns up on "Most Haunted", "Ghost Hunters" or "Paranormal State". To begin with, most spirits in these TV episodes are either too crazy or too weak to be entertaining. If the producers did find a powerful spirit with some showmanship, the ghost would probably give most of the crew heart attacks. What good would that do???
A few writers have some interesting thoughts on jobs in the afterlife. The funniest is the one on "Would you like to be the Grim Reaper"? Another dwells on "Bad Jobs in the Afterlife". A more middle of the road view is this person's "Vision of Heaven".
My own vision of these afterlife positions are itemized below. I believe in stewardship over the Earth now and in the future. One's responsibilities for this planet don't end with death or a trip to Heaven.
- Spiritual Healers: One of the biggest problems in this world is sickness of one kind or the other. This includes cancer, heart disease, MS, Aids. etc. Healing these diseases completely is something only a powerful spiritual being could do. Prayers help, but having dedicated well trained spirits in this field is important.
- Enviromental Controllers: When nature is let loose on the environment, it can create devastation in its path. Look at the hurricanes, tornadoes, floods and forest fires of recent history. Millions of lives lost and damages in the mega billion dollar range. It may be a thankless job to be an enviromental controller, but it is necessary for many on this planet.
- Global Guardians: There's always the possibility that Earth could experience a nuclear war or get invaded by a high tech civilization. It is important that powerful spiritual guardians exist to make sure that doesn't happen.
- Afterlife Therapists: Many spirits have difficulty adapting to another life after their body dies. It's important to properly debrief a soul on his last life and get him/her to differentiate between his/her memories and the physical universe.
- Monitors and Trackers:We all know the value of the police in controlling criminal activity. It's also important to assist earthly police in tracking the most wanted in this world. Monitors and Trackers provide this service through advanced telephoto cameras that monitor brain waves.
- Artistic Mentors: Wouldn't it be great if all artists had their own personal muse? Encouraging and guiding the artists of tomorrow should be a priority.
- Personal Guardian Angels: It's reassuring that someone "out there" is looking after our safety and welfare.
- Tour Guides Of The Universe: Recently departed souls need a friendly guide to show them around the new reality that they'll be moving into.
- Humane Terminators: The whole business of dying should be as quick and painless as possible.
- Communication Engineers: There's no reason that a bridge couldn't be built between this life and the next where different kinds of living beings could communicate with each other. My suggestion is a computer interface that would allow images and thoughts to travel back and forth from the physical world to the spiritual world.
On the right side of this page are the links to "My Cosmic Views of the Universe". It's fortunate that humans are not the only intelligent life form in the cosmos. If you have any thoughts on this topic please e-mail me.